A few basic steps can significantly reduce the amount of electricity used by electric stoves:
- Use a pressure cooker to prepare foods that normally have a lengthy cooking time such as some vegetables, rice and certain cuts of meat.
- They work along the same lines as a crock pot but they speed up the cooking process and save electricity.
- When buying a stove, buy one with a convection oven as the small interior space heats up faster and stays warmer for longer.
- Make sure that the oven doors stay closed until food is fully cooked and bring food to the boil on the ”high” setting, then turn down to simmer until cooked.
- Keep stove plates and reflectors clean and only use pots and pans that completely cover stove plates.